MANILA— Despite the reported murder of a Korean businessman involving some policemen while inside Camp Crame, a senator on Friday said he sees no reason for Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa to resign.
“I believe in command responsibility. But I think that any head would be able to completely monitor over 1,000 personnel,” Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano said in a press conference in BGC, Taguig City.
Cayetano said he would want to wait for the results of investigation by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to allow scalawag policemen under Dela Rosa to take responsibility.
“I am not calling for his courtesy resignation. I think he’s doing a good job,” he added.
Cayetano, like his colleagues Senators Panfilo “Ping” Lacson and Sherwin “Win” Gatchalian described the incident as a “big wake-up call” for the PNP to continue to cleanse their ranks.
This way, he said, the agency could ensure a more effective implementation of the all-out-war on illegal drugs.
He said that policemen using Oplan Tokhang to hold people for ransom was “sad, tragic, and inexcusable.”
The senator, meanwhile, said he appreciated how Dela Rosa immediately took responsibility for the incident.
Dela Rosa previously said that he was willing to resign if the campaign against crime and illegal drugs fails.
WATCH VIDEO BELOW:
SOURCE: PTV, INQUIRER