Senator Leila de Lima on Tuesday said she will hold President Rodrigo Duterte responsible if any harm happens to her, following the chief executive’s supposed threat against her.
De Lima said Duterte should be considered the “number one suspect” if something happens to her, quoting Duterte’s statements Monday wherein he mentioned the senator as he threatened to have narcopoliticians killed.
“Kung may mangyari sa 'kin, sino ang number one suspect? 'Di ba siya? And I’m making him responsible if something happens to me,” De Lima said.
“If something happens to me, he is the one responsible, directly or indirectly dahil paulit-ulit nila akong dini-demonize,” she added.
De Lima said she considers as a “veiled threat” Duterte’s mention of her in a speech in Malacañang during the mass oath-taking of newly-appointed government officials.
In the said speech, Duterte said: “Magtanong ka ng isang pulis dito kung may sinabi ako na patayin mo ‘yang si De Lima o patayin mo ‘yang si ano. I never ordered. Ang sinabi ko lang… Remember that I declared war. I did not declare any just police punitive action. No, no, far from it.”
“To me, this is doubly disturbing to me.
I take it as a veiled threat. Why all of a sudden babanggitin ako tungkol sa patayan?…Is that a subconscious slip, a sort of a Freudian slip?” De Lima said.
“Alam ko naman 'yan, na I’m always on top of his mind. 'Pag sinabi niya yung droga, you can be sure na ako yung isusunod niya. But this is the first time na nagbabanggit siya about patay,” the senator added.
De Lima said she continues to receive threats from her “haters” and “trolls” in her personal phone, the number of which had been exposed in a congressional probe.
De Lima and Dutere have been at odds with each other since De Lima was chairperson of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR), which initiated an investigation into the supposed summary killings in Davao City. Duterte was the city mayor then.
Source: GMA News