Wednesday, March 15, 2017

WATCH: Leni Robredo, misinforming and misleading the international community!

MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Leni Robredo claimed Tuesday that authorities have been engaging in a “palit-ulo” scheme, where a drug suspect's relative is sometimes taken in their stead.

Robredo said that sometimes police take the wife, the husband or any relative of a person on their drug list if they could not locate the person himself.

“They told us of the ‘palit-ulo’ scheme which means ‘exchange heads’ where the wife, or husband or relative in a so-called drug list will be taken if the person himself could not be found,” the vice president said in a recorded message

The recording was for the “Human Rights Challenge: Responding to Extrajudicial Killings in the Drug War,” which is a side session organized by the DRCNet Foundation for the 60th annual meeting of the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs.

The Palace dismissed the claim, saying the vice president had been misinformed.
Presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella said the scheme actually refers to a commitment of a drug suspect to provide assistance in the arrest of a "bigger fish" in the illegal drug syndicate in exchange for lighter charges.

“While she (Robredo) has the right to speak freely  on matters of public concern, she also has the responsibility to be careful with her statements especially avoiding unfounded allegations from questionable sources,” Abella said in a statement.

Chief Presidential Legal Adviser Salvador Panelo said Robredo’s online video was “misleading” and consists of “bare assertions that are not based on evidence.”

I think the vice president, I’m sorry to say, has been misled, has been misinformed, and has been misguided on the information she has received,” Panelo said in an interview.

Robredo has been a staunch critic of President Rodrigo Duterte’s war against illegal drugs. Since Duterte assumed the presidency last year, more than 7,000 people have been killed.

Early this year the government was embroiled in a scandal that involved the killing and murder of a Korean businessman right inside the main headquarters of the Philippine National Police (PNP) by operatives from its anti-drugs unit.

The government, profusely apologizing to the South Korean government over the incident, declared a temporary stop to its anti-illegal drugs campaign.

Recently, the PNP relaunched its anti-drugs campaign which PNP chief Ronald Dela Rosa promised to be less bloody. 
Robredo said that communities had also told her office that residents were told that they didn’t have the right to demand a search warrant because their houses were built on properties they didn’t own.

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE:


Source: YouTube, GMA News

0 comments

Post a Comment